[Bro] SSH Login Notices - Filter out internal to internal connections

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri Nov 16 20:46:59 PST 2012

On Nov 16, 2012, at 11:11 PM, Mike Kolkebeck <mkolkebeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> SSH::Login Notices for internal to internal connections can get fairly noisy.
>
> What is the most efficient way to filter out these notices for internal to internal without filtering for external connections?

redef Notice::policy += {
        [$pred(n: Notice::Info) = {
                return ( n$note == SSH::Login &&
                         Site::is_local_addr(n$id$orig_h) &&
                         Site::is_local_addr(n$id$resp_h) );
         },
         $priority=10,
         $halt=T]
};

BTW, this answer is nasty and we're working now on making this generally easier for the next release.

Your approach of generating your own notice works well too.

I was considering removing the SSH::Login notice anyway.  It's an anachronism of an older style of scripting and isn't so relevant anymore.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the removal of the SSH::Login notice?  Anyone actively use it?

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/