[Bro] How to do with Bro 2.1

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Wed Oct 10 19:00:11 PDT 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Mike Sconzo <sconzo at visiblerisk.com> wrote:

> Thanks. You're correct, what I want to happen appears to be happening.
>
> Is it a horrible idea to change the signatures? I was curious about
> adding more client verbs in HTTP to detect webdav, and or adding an
> additional http client sig that operates on UDP mostly for upnp
> detection.

You could just write your own signatures (remembering that we don't recommend modifying scripts in base/) and load it in local.bro.  I'll give an example…

In a file named localdpd.sig:
signature my_dpd_http_client {
	ip-proto == tcp
	payload /^[[:space:]]*(PUT)[[:space:]]*/
	tcp-state originator
}
signature my_dpd_http_server {
	ip-proto == tcp
	payload /^HTTP\/[0-9]/
	tcp-state responder
	requires-reverse-signature my_dpd_http_client
	enable "http"
}

Then in local.bro:
@loads-sigs ./localdpd.sig

If you find that some of your signature additions are valuable, then we would certainly be willing to integrate them into Bro.  I think this provides us a good way of trying things out first. :)

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/