[Bro] Troubleshooting crashes

Tyler T. Schoenke tyler.schoenke at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 17 12:56:16 PDT 2012

On 9/11/12 2:34 PM, Tritium Cat wrote:
>     > 614589 data_before_established
>     > 585445 possible_split_routing
>
>     I'm a little curious about these two.  Normally lots of these lines
>     indicates that something is wrong with how Bro is collecting
>     packets.  I'm interested to find out if these go away when you adapt
>     the snap length.  Is the MTU of your network actually 9600 or did
>     you just set that MTU for the interface to the maximum it would allow?

I was seeing a lot of these as well.  I am mirroring two ports, hence a
lot of duplicate traffic.  Are you doing something similar?  When I had
my networking engineer turn off one of the mirrored ports, I saw a 60%
reduction in data_before_established and 66% decrease in
possible_split_routing.  I'm comparing data between the same hour on
Thursday and Friday, so some of that drop is related to a normal drop in
traffic, but most is probably turning off the mirror.

Tyler