[Bro] troubleshooting bro memory usage?

aaron gee-clough lists at g-clef.net
Tue Aug 13 07:27:05 PDT 2013

All,

I think I know what's causing this on the surface, but I'm unsure of the
deeper cause. When I commented out the SecurityOnion bro scripts, bro's
memory usage was stable and reasonable. So the problem was clearly
coming from securityonion's scripts. I then started adding the
SecurityOnion rules back in one by one, adding a ton of Reporter::warn
statements, and watching the reporter.log. What I noticed was the
securityonion hostname.bro script never completed *if* the device's
hostname had a dash in it ("location-onion", for example). When I
changed the server's hostname to not have a dash, the hostname script
completed without issue.

I suspect this means that the "hostname" and "interface" variables from
the securityonion scripts weren't being initialized properly while
trying to start up with a dashed hostname, doing who-knows-what when bro
was told to add those variables to every logged event.

Given that, I have an easy fix in the short term, which is to rename the
box running securityonion to not have a dash in its hostname. What I'm
confused by is why this would happen in the first place. (So I'm not
clear yet on what patch to suggest to the securityonion folks to prevent
this from coming up again.)

The securityonion hostname.bro file does the following:

    module SecurityOnion;

    @load base/frameworks/input

    export {
             ## Event to capture when the hostname is discovered.
             global SecurityOnion::found_hostname: event(hostname: string);

             ## Hostname for this box.
             global hostname = "";

    type HostnameCmdLine: record { s: string; };

    event SecurityOnion::hostname_line(description:
    Input::EventDescription, tpe: Input::Event, s: string)
             {
             hostname = s;
             system(fmt("rm %s", description$source));
             event SecurityOnion::found_hostname(hostname);
             }

    event add_hostname_reader(name: string)
             {
             Input::add_event([$source=name,
                               $name=name,
                               $reader=Input::READER_RAW,
                               $want_record=F,
                               $fields=HostnameCmdLine,
                               $ev=SecurityOnion::hostname_line]);
             }

    event bro_init() &priority=5
             {
             local tmpfile = "/tmp/bro-hostname-" + unique_id("");
             system(fmt("hostname > %s", tmpfile));
             event add_hostname_reader(tmpfile);
             }

The SecurityOnion::hostname_line event never fires if the hostname has a
dash in it (for example, if the contents of the tmpfile are
"location-onion"). I see the add_hostname_reader event fire, but not the
hostname_line event. Do you all have any idea why that would fail if
there's a string with a dash in the file? Is bro thinking it's an
expression rather than a string? Two strings?

Thanks for all the help so far. This has been hard to nail down.

aaron