[Bro] out of memory after a couple days?

Gary Faulkner gary at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 4 16:05:30 PST 2013

I've been running on Bro 2.2 for just under a month mostly without
incident. After my most recent restart it ran for about two days since
before I received crash reports for several workers and proxies across
multiple hosts. Upon investigation it looks like I might have run out of
memory. I found logs such as the following in /var/log/messages on all
of my nodes (manager and worker nodes):

bro invoked oom-killer
Out of memory: Kill process 7152 (bro) score 151 or sacrifice child

Has anyone seen this before? Is this just a sign I need more RAM or am I
possibly running into a memory leak? I have run for up to a week without
incident in the past before restarting of my own accord after making
various changes to reporting, policy etc. The only thing I changed prior
to the last restart was to disable an email notice I had previously set.

Regards,

--
Gary Faulkner
UW Madison