[Bro] missed bytes without gaps

sangdrax8 sangdrax8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 04:57:49 PST 2013

I am confused on how I am getting "missed_bytes."  When I read the
documentation it says that these are due to content gaps, and is caused by
packet loss.  So I have tried to look for signs of this, but I have yet to
find anything that shows content gaps or any significant packet loss.  I
see no mention of content gaps in my notices.log file, and my packet loss
report from broctl shows almost no dropped packets (recvd=2770338
dropped=92 link=2770430)

Perhaps I am looking at this wrong, so if someone could help out here it
would be greatly appreciated.  I am logging correct streams, vs streams
with missed bytes, to see how often these missed bytes show up.  To do this
I am filtering my logs in the following way

Missed:  only looking at bro_conn, orig_bytes AND resp_bytes > 0, only TCP
packets, missed_bytes > 0
Non-missed: only looking at bro_conn, orig_bytes AND resp_bytes > 0, only
TCP packets, missed_bytes = 0

Using these two definitions, I see almost 40% of my packets fall into the
"missed" streams, while around 60% fall into the non-missed.  I was doing
this to check my setup and see if I had everything working.  From
everything else (no gaps reported, and no almost no dropped packets) I
thought everything was working.  Now I question if something else is wrong,
and so I am weary about using this to look at other data as it may not be
complete.