[Bro] Standard Bro checks on tcpdump files.What that really means?

Aashish Sharma init.conf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 18:46:09 PST 2013

When running  bro -r dumpfile ; you have to specify a policy file or a set of policy files which are used to process the dumpfile.

The most default option is to use local.bro (found in <your_bro_install>/share/bro/site/ folder.

So this becomes: bro -r dumpfile local.bro

Once successful, looking in the log directory for a file called loaded_scripts.log. This log will list the policy files which were used for this specific bro run and analysis.

(if you are running bro as a daemon after doing broctl start, then you can use broctl scripts all to get a listing of loaded_policies as well)

Aashish