[Bro] connection_status_update for inactive flows

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Mon Feb 4 12:03:34 PST 2013

On Feb 4, 2013, at 2:02 PM, David Mandelberg <dmandelb at bbn.com> wrote:

> One more question: What's the best way for a script to handle
> connection_status_update_interval? Would it offend site administrators
> or other script authors for my script to redef it to a value that works
> for that script?

I would approach the problem differently, I *really* don't like the connection_status_update event because of the global change as you've noticed.  Are you familiar with scheduled events?

You could implement your script like this…

module MyModule;

export {
	## The period of delay for all established connections
	## before rechecking them for whatever I'm checking them for.
	const checkup_interval = 5sec;
}

event MyModule::regular_check(c: connection)
	{
	# Do your check you would have previously done in connection_status_update
	print c$uid;

	# Reschedule this event.
	schedule checkup_interval { MyModule::regular_check(c) };
	}

event connection_established(c: connection)
	{
	# Schedule the event that does the check.
	schedule checkup_interval { MyModule::regular_check(c) };
	}

Does that work for what you're trying to do?

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/