[Bro] Question about data format of ssl.log files

Mike Sconzo sconzo at visiblerisk.com
Wed Feb 20 12:18:57 PST 2013

There are a couple different things you can look for.

The serial number works pretty well in a lot of cases (I use this 99%
of the time w/o issue). The subject and issuer are useful for finding
odd SSL certs to begin with. A lof of their subjects and issuers are
pretty trash looking. If you were really paranoid you could combine
the 2 for a more accurate match. I'd also say having a 5 year validity
isn't too normal, but I don't have any hard data to back this up (just
from what I remember from doing analysis). Not to mention when subject
= issuer is also a give away for self signed, and while not
immediately malicious it tends to raise my eyebrow (for example, a
self signed mail.aol.com or mail.yahoo.com cert?). For the default bro
logs I'd look at servername, subject, not valid before and not valid
after; that should give you a reasonable starting place.

As an aside this might be one of my favorites:

C=US, ST=Washington, L=Anytown, O=ACLU, OU=A@@hole,
CN=NoName/emailAddress=iamnot at home.com

Just by looking at subjects and/or issuers that should stand out
because that is not normal for legit network traffic. Sorry for the
tangent, but personally I'd be less worried about the specifics in the
report and more about the chances that it's something not in this
report on your network <FUD alert! :) >

-=Mike

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Jesse Bowling <jessebowling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So quite a few infosec folks are looking at Mandiant's APT1 report, myself
> included...When I saw that they included some information on SSL certs in
> use I thought "Oh, I'll bet I can check my Bro logs for that!".
> Unfortunately, I don't see a way to correlate the info from these reports
> with my Bro logs (which is pretty vanilla).
>
> So I suppose my question(s) is/are:
>
> *Has anyone else seen a reliable way to correlate the report data with Bro
> logs?
> *How might I change my Bro logs so that if I were given this info in the
> future I could reliably correlate it?
>
> I'm fairly ignorant about how much of an X509 cert one can see on the wire;
> serial number seemed promising but is only "required" to be unique per CA,
> Signature Algorithm seems promising, as does Public Key Modulus...
>
> Any suggestions/thoughts from the group?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jesse
>
> http://intelreport.mandiant.com/
> http://intelreport.mandiant.com/Mandiant_APT1_Report.pdf