[Bro] Running external command line programs

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri Feb 22 09:06:54 PST 2013

On Feb 22, 2013, at 11:59 AM, Chris Crawford <christopher.p.crawford at gmail.com> wrote:

> This got me wondering -- why would exec-test.bro ever have a case where (! r?$stdout) is true, when I have a program that absolutely returns output every time it's run? (And then print out "nothing?!?")

You don't have to do that check if you know your script will have something on stdout.  I may even make stdout an empty vector by default (as opposed to null).  I can see that argument making sense.

> system(fmt("rm %s_done", tmpfile));
> system(fmt("rm %s_stdout", tmpfile));
> system(fmt("rm %s_stderr", tmpfile));
>
> I'm just not sure where it should go.

You're running old code. :)  I may not have finished taking care of that yet in the version you're running.  Hopefully this will be in Bro's master branch soon but using when statements and just generally being much nicer.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/