[Bro] Bro and filesystem data on a host (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fair, Charles A SSG USARMY NG NGB ARNG PEC (US) charles.a.fair2.mil at mail.mil
Wed Feb 27 09:03:51 PST 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

If I understand correctly, the input framework is the way that log files,
for instance from a host, can be ingested by Bro?  One of the things I was
interested in doing was identifying key information from a log, such as a MS
Windows Event log, via event viewer to syslog, with network traffic.  This
would be similar to how Bro can analyze SSL Certs.

What I was wondering about was what could Bro do with a filesystem beyond
log files?  An example on a MS system would be identifying the last run time
of a file via prefetch data that was communicating over a socket, that was
identified by Bro.  Of course this is assuming that Bro has access to the
filesystem of the system in question.

Regards,

SSG Charles "Chuck" A. Fair
Information Systems/Information Assurance NCO
Information Technology Training Center, PEC, Camp Robinson AR