[Bro] effects of &synchronized and &mergeable

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Jan 18 09:01:47 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:50 -0500, you wrote:

> So if I understand correctly, there's a race condition where some nodes
> have 0 and some have 1, but none have old_value + 1, right? I think 0
> and 1 are close enough for this application that this should be fine.

I'd describe it as they all have "old_value + x" but for a while that
might be different "x" per node. They all converge on the right
"new_value" soon though, with "new_value = old_value + <all
increments>""

> Is it usable in a testing environment yet? Is the interface with
> external scripts mostly stable?

It looks like we're going to do one more iteration on the API exposed
to external scripts, likely soon. The current code is in
topic/seth/metrics-merge.

> It sounds like this is still in design stages, is that right?

yeah, actually it's even still the "is this right way to go forward?"
stage ... :)

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org