[Bro] Bro programming question

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Mon Jan 21 17:31:04 PST 2013

On Jan 21, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Rawi Ramdhan <rawiramdhan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Im a student at the university of Amsterdam currently working on BRO in combination with SNORT.

I don't know what you're planning on doing, but have you noticed that Barnyard2 has support for a Bro output plugin?  Each alert in the unified2 log file from Snort is turned into a Bro event.
	https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2

> The following should log all data from 192.168.101.1 with TCP on port 0.  And print it in a log file (which one?)

You're using the print statement so it will only print to stdout.  You have to use the logging framework if you  want actual logs. :)

> And where do I put the script to check the payload from this data and with that information execute a shell script via piped_exec(program: string, to_write: string): bool.

Just call your program with the full path in the program field and it should work fine.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/