[Bro] Bro programming intro

Tritium Cat tritium.cat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 09:41:24 PDT 2013

The ability to work with items outside of BroNSM to me is useful and easier
than rewriting a BroNSM script and restarting a cluster when I want to look
at something differently or trim logs.  Searching for items and *guessing*
which requests are related is more time consuming.  Long term I can see
tweaking a Bro script to perform better.  I am very selective with using
email as an alert mechanism.

Using samples makes sense, as does uids, samples involve content and sound
larger than a simple int32?, but limiting those is fine as well, just as
you would the UIDs.  How do you plan to implement the sampling ?  By time
or by unique requests ?  Can an attack tool run a number of SQL injection
attempts and end the last 5 with something benign ?  I'd rather analyze the
specifics outside of BroNSM before going back and tweaking BroNSM.

Thanks for the /research link.