[Bro] Bro programming intro

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Tue Mar 19 12:41:48 PDT 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Tritium Cat <tritium.cat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another thing I would like to do is tag every orig_h and resp_h with additional identifiers relative to the prefix, sorta like BGP ASNs.  I usually use a Patricia-Trie for this.  Is there a special data type and BiF I should consider ?

You got the right section in the logging framework docs.  I'll give an example if you want to add ASN like you mentioned as an example...

redef record Conn::Log += {
	orig_asn: count &log &optional;
	resp_asn: count &log &optional;
};

event connection_established(c: connection)
	{
	c$conn$orig_asn = lookup_asn(c$id$orig_h);
 	c$conn$resp_asn = lookup_asn(c$id$resp_h);
	}

You need to have the MaxMind ASN database in place for the lookup_asn function to work.  Anyway, it's pretty easy. :)

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro.org/