[Bro] Bro and Counting DNS rcodes

Liam Randall liam at broala.com
Thu Nov 7 12:44:27 PST 2013

Conner are you on 2.1?  There was a bug that has been fixed in the current
code base.

You could also simply summarize the existing dns.log with something like
this:

[bro at new-host-3 dns-ad-bruteforce]$ less dns.log | bro-cut rcode rcode_name
| sort | uniq -c | sort -n
     32 - -
   1704 0 NOERROR
   2279 3 NXDOMAIN

The columns are Count / Return Code / Return Code Name.

Thanks,

Liam Randall

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Rosebraugh, Connar <
connar.rosebraugh at egov.com> wrote:

>  I am trying to use Bro to count DNS rcodes, but it is returning numbers
> that are not correct. I am using the dns_message() event to collect the DNS
> messages, and I am using a pcap of 5000 packets that are all on port 53.
> After inspecting the packets in wireshark, I found that there were ~600
> query results where rcode == 3. However, after running my script, not only
> did Bro only find 1 rcode == 3, but it only counted 2497 DNS messages. Is
> there something that I am missing?
>

> Attached is the script that I am using to collect the rcodes. If you see
> some glaring logical error, please let me know.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Connar Rosebraugh
>
> Intern, Security Operations
>
> NICUSA, Inc.