[Bro] Possible Bro Cluster communication issue?

Gary Faulkner gary at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 15 10:34:03 PST 2013

We're running RHEL 6.4 (2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64). We had our own
fairly restrictive rule set on the hosts and simply didn't have the
ports open as I didn't see them in the particular documentation I was
referencing on the bro site. I knew from the documentation that bro
needed to be able to SSH between hosts, but didn't know that
(manager/proxy/worker) were also listening on specific ports or what
they were.

As for the proxy crashing, I think the issue was simply running too many
workers on the same host as the proxy and manager. I started my learning
by running a single host with manager/proxy/workers and gradually
ramping up the worker count, then added the second with just workers. So
I suspect I just pushed it too far and needed to free up some system
resources on that first host running the manager/proxy. Ideally I think
I'd like to run the master and proxy on their own system (as others have
suggested). For testing purposes I simply disabled the workers on that
host, made sure the proxy didn't crash and then observed the behavior of
the host firewalls to see if they were blocking anything. So mostly
ignorance and misconfiguration on my part.

Regards,

Gary Faulkner
UW Madison
Office of Campus Information Security