[Bro] another kdd cup question

Jim Mellander jmellander at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 4 12:57:52 PDT 2013

Hi:

A number of your items (specifically # 10-22) appear to require inspection
inside interactive sessions, which (unless the connection is cleartext), is
not accessible to a network level monitor.  Lack of inspection into
sessions, and the security benefits gained as a result are major benefits
of modern session tools, of which the standard is ssh.

If you have access to the systems you wish to monitor, you can install
Instrumented SSHd, which will send a clear-text stream of the session to a
bro monitor for inspection. See: https://code.google.com/p/auditing-sshd/

Some of the information you want might also be logged via syslog, such as
authentication events.

Hope this helps.

Jim Mellander
NERSC Cybersecurity