[Bro] Bro vs NetFlow

Swan, Jay jswan at sugf.com
Tue Oct 8 06:26:23 PDT 2013

I probably screwed up by titling the thread Bro *versus* NetFlow... I was mainly curious if anyone had managed to do away with NetFlow analysis through pervasive use of Bro. I didn't think that would likely be the case.

The best thing about our existing commercial NetFlow product is that it integrates into our existing commercial NMS system, so all the sysadmins and help desk people can see it if they want to. It has a lot of problems, however, with stuff like directionality, flow deduplication, and data summarization (it drops flow details to save space that are valuable for forensics).

I don't think I could get all the performance-related data I want just from Bro, at least at my current level of expertise. Forensically, I think Bro has almost everything I want, but putting sensors at every tiny location we have is logistically infeasible, but we already have IPFIX-exporting Cisco routers at all those locations. Hence, we're looking for a new (probably commercial) NetFlow product.

Jay