[Bro] updating dev from git repo

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 11 08:06:04 PDT 2013

> I'm trying to update to the latest version. (from 2.1.1052)
>
>  Few questions:
> Can I just do a git pull origin master
>
> git pull origin master - it seems to grab all the submodules
>
> do I need to:  git submodule foreach git pull origin master?

Every time you pull from bro's master branch, you should make sure the submodules are updated.  So the typical way to use Bro git repos is to get it for the first time:

	git clone --recursive git://git.bro.org/bro

Then sometime later update the master branch

	git pull # Assuming master branch is already checked out locally.
	git submodule update --recursive --init # Update submodules.

> and CMake Warning at aux/broctl/aux/trace-summary/CMakeLists.txt:30 (message):
>
> Could not find dependency: 'ipsumdump', trace-summary will not be able to read pcap traces

This is unrelated to how you update from git, it's just pointing out an optional dependency, ipsumdump, wasn't found.

- Jon