[Bro] Bro with PPPoE [was Re: HTTP not being seen]

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Mon Sep 16 08:53:45 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-16 09:20, Seth Hall wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2013, at 8:26 AM, James Lay <jlay at slave-tothe-box.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I completely agree.  In my case however, I believe it's a "feature"
>> of PPPoE…those same packets captured on the physical eth1 NIC are
>> flawless with zero issues.  I tried having Bro listen to eth1, but I
>> don't think it plays with the PPPoE.  Thanks for the input Seth.
>

> Hm, I think I have a patch around somewhere that adds PPPoE support
> to Bro… yep, found it.
> 	topic/seth/pppoe
>
> I also went ahead and updated that branch to be only diffs against
> the current master branch.  Let me know if you need any help if you
> decide to give it a try.
>
>   .Seth

Hi Seth,

So...I've gone to:

https://github.com/bro/bro/tree/topic/seth/pppoe

and downloaded to a .zip file.  Configure fails at:

Build Directory : build
Source Directory: /home/newbro/bro-topic-seth-pppoe
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (include):
   include could not find load file:

     cmake/CommonCMakeConfig.cmake

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:43 (include):
   include could not find load file:

     FindRequiredPackage

-- Found sed: /bin/sed
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:55 (FindRequiredPackage):
   Unknown CMake command "FindRequiredPackage".

Something tells me I'm doing this wrong...I also cloned
https://github.com/bro/bro.git and I see the same thing.  Any help would
be great..thank you.

James