[Bro] Impact of HUPping bro process

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Wed Apr 9 06:06:12 PDT 2014

On Apr 4, 2014, at 1:35 PM, James Lay <jlay at slave-tothe-box.net> wrote:

> Curious...I don't use broctl, choosing instead to run bro.  What is the
> impact of HUPping the current running bro process?

Nothing.  Well, let me backpedal a bit.  It will force Bro to checkpoint all persistent state to disk but that feature of Bro isn’t used very much (and we don’t recommend using it much either due to various problems with it).

If you want to update the scripts that Bro is running you have to restart Bro in almost all cases.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro.org/