[Bro] Append instead of overwrite

Daniel Thayer dnthayer at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:36:02 PDT 2014

On 08/15/2014 01:13 PM, Seth Hall wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2014, at 11:53 AM, James Lay <jlay at slave-tothe-box.net> wrote:
>
>> To give me an option to append instead of overwrite.  I imagine that
>> since broctl does all the file management that this could be a command
>> line option...
>
> Ah!  You just want to have file management (and perhaps full rotation?) added as a standalone script and not something that is added by broctl?
>
> Johanna is right that with our current logging scheme we can't really append log files for multiple reasons but I could certainly pull together something that would give you decent log rotation without running broctl.
>
>    .Seth

To get basic log rotation working without running broctl, you only
need to add this in one of your Bro scripts:

redef Log::default_rotation_interval = 3600 secs;

However, that does not compress the rotated logs, and it will not
move them to another directory.  If you want those features, then
you need to have broctl installed, and you need to add this line also:

redef Log::default_rotation_postprocessor_cmd = "archive-log";

The "archive-log" script will be executed by Bro (so it either needs
to be in Bro's PATH or you need to give the pathname).

In order to get the archive-log script to work, you need to
edit broctl.cfg as needed and run "broctl install".  Then start Bro
manually and when Bro runs archive-log it should have all the
info it needs.