[Bro] Using Bro without selectable fd support in libpcap

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Dec 9 16:03:46 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 18:06 +0000, Paul Emberson wrote:

> I noticed that earlier versions had a compile time option
> --disable-select-loop to disable the use of this within Bro.

It's been a while since we removed that. I believe it was primarily a
case of bit rot: nobody had been using it in a while and hence it
wasn't clear if it was still working; and it didn't seem necessary
anymore anyways.

I'd be reluctant to bring it back though, in the spirit of avoiding
configure time options where possible. One alternative might be a
writing plugin: current git master supports adding new packets sources
in the form of external plugins. You could turn the the pcap code into
a new plugin that adapts the necessary pieces, and then use that
instead of the standard version.

Robin

--
Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin