[Bro] Bro Anomaly Detection

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 18 07:49:03 PST 2014

Bro doesn't fit well into either the anomaly-based or signature based paradigm and is often referred to as a specification-based IDS. However, it is probably best understood as more than an IDS, as a network analysis framework that combines a powerful state engine with a full computer language aimed at network analysis.

So to answer your question, there are not separate "modules". There are a set of scripts [1] that come with Bro, and the ability to customize and add to these. If you are interested in doing signature-based detection, look at [2].

I hope this helps to get you started.

:Adam Slagell

[1] http://www.bro.org/sphinx/scripts/index.html
[2] http://www.bro.org/sphinx/frameworks/signatures.html