[Bro] vector array of string used as a pattern for matching

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri Feb 28 07:37:07 PST 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 3:28 PM, Jim Mellander <jmellander at LBL.GOV> wrote:

> the domain matching is done by successively splitting the domain into smaller parts & check for set membership

This has a lot of overhead in Bro at the moment due to the amount of string manipulation.  I have an example module of a faster way to do this that doesn't involve any string manipulation.

	https://github.com/sethhall/bro-junk-drawer/tree/master/domain-tld

It includes Mozilla's list of "effective TLDs".  Things like co.uk are counted as TLDs.

> @load domain-tld
> DomainTLD::effective_tld("www.google.co.uk");
  => co.uk
> DomainTLD::effective_tld("www.google.com");