[Bro] count connection bytes

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Jan 2 09:21:10 PST 2014

On Dec 23, 2013, at 4:26 PM, "Kellogg, Brian D (OLN)" <bkellogg at dresser-rand.com> wrote:

> event connection_finished(c:connection)
>         {
>         print c$orig$num_bytes_ip;
>         print c$resp$num_bytes_ip;
>         }
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious but it is escaping me.  thanks

You probably want to use the connection_state_remove event instead as it indicates when a connection is expunged from memory.  connection_finished has some extra context to it that you may not care about.

Also, the num_bytes_ip field is a per-packet field and includes the size of the IP header on down (tcp/udp + payload typically).  If you are looking for content bytes you will want c$orig$size which will show you the size of the reassembled TCP contents in the case of TCP.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro.org/