[Bro] Running Bro on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 21 10:21:33 PST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 11:59 AM, Arthur Wong <awong5 at mail.ccsf.edu> wrote:

> I downloaded Bro ( .dmg, full ) from Bro.org and installed it.
>
> /opt/bro/bin/bro -r myidftraffic.pcap
> internal error: can't load magic file <default>: no magic files loaded
> Abort trap: 6
>
> How do I correct this error?

I suggest building from sources instead.

>From [1]:

"Mac OS X packages are currently for Mavericks (10.9) only and the Bro packages also require libmagic to be installed — using the version from MacPorts should work, while other versions require setting the MAGIC environment variable to the path of the installed libmagic’s magic database file before running Bro."

- Jon

[1] http://bro.org/download/index.html#binarypackages