[Bro] Running Bro on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 27 12:14:39 PST 2014

On Jan 27, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Arthur Wong <awong5 at mail.ccsf.edu> wrote:

> Since the .dmg are for 10.9, I attempted install Bro on 10.9 and still got same error.

Yeah, it’s a problem with Bro's binary OS X packaging, sorry about that.

> To run Bro, I ended up setting the MAGIC environment variable:
> export MAGIC=/opt/local/share/misc/magic.mgc
>
> I did this from the terminal, but is there a config file that this can be put into so I don't have to remember to set MAGIC variable every time use Bro?

There’s not a Bro-specific config file you can put that in, but you could probably put it in your ~/.profile.

Since you’ve got MacPorts already, you might try to install bro through that instead of use the binary package from bro.org.  The MacPorts Bro package shouldn’t require setting any extra environment vars.

- Jon