[Bro] Sanity check - Grabbing platform tokens from browser user agents (was p0f)

Gary Faulkner gary at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 31 11:01:04 PST 2014

I've tried the below script now on a Bro 2.2 (release version) cluster
watching about 8Gbps of traffic and it seems to do what I intended which
is to create a separate log file that keeps track of IP to OS mappings,
for a handful of Windows Desktop OS versions, as pulled from user agent
strings sent over HTTP. In the first full day in production I
successfully logged around 227,000 unique IP to OS mappings. I have
since slightly modified it to only log IPs represented in local nets to
reduce log volume as I'm mostly interested in my own networks.

One issue I'm running into is in keeping track of IP to OS mappings and
only logging them once per day. I've set an expire timer for 1 day, but
in production it seems to only keep track of those IPs for the duration
of a log rotation interval which is set to 20 minutes. I have observed
that without the expire timer each mapping will log continuously, so it
appears to get used in some way, but just seems to be tied to log
rotation instead of the explicit value in the script. I'm guessing I
need to do something different, but not sure what. Thought? Script is
pasted below.

================= Begin Script ==============
@load base/utils/site

module BrowserPlatform;

export
{
     # The fully resolved name for this log will be BrowserPlatform::LOG
     redef enum Log::ID += { LOG };

     type Info: record {
         ts:                 time    &log &optional;
         uid:                string  &log &optional;
         host:               addr    &log &optional;
         platform_token:     string  &log &optional;
         unparsed_version:   string  &log &optional;
     };

     # A set of seen IP + OS combinations. Used to prevent logging the
same combo repeatedly.
     global seen_browser_platforms: set[string] &create_expire = 1.0 day
&synchronized &redef;
}

event bro_init() &priority=5
     {
     Log::create_stream(BrowserPlatform::LOG,[$columns=Info]);
     }

event http_header(c: connection, is_orig: bool, name: string, value: string)
{
     local platform = "Unknown OS";
     if ( is_orig && Site::is_local_addr(c$id$orig_h) )
         {
         if ( name == "USER-AGENT" && /Windows NT 5.1/ in value )
                 {
                 platform = "Windows XP";
                 }
         else if ( name == "USER-AGENT" && /Windows NT 6.0/ in value )
                 {
                 platform = "Windows Vista";
                 }
         else if ( name == "USER-AGENT" && /Windows NT 6.1/ in value )
                 {
                 platform = "Windows 7";
                 }
         else if ( name == "USER-AGENT" && /Windows NT 6.2/ in value )
                 {
                 platform = "Windows 8";
                 }
         else if ( name == "USER-AGENT" && /Windows NT 6.3/ in value )
                 {
                 platform = "Windows 8.1";
                 }
         }
     local saw = cat(c$id$orig_h,platform); #There is probably a less
ugly way to do this than cat, but it seems to work
     if ( platform != "Unknown OS" && saw !in seen_browser_platforms )
         {
         local rec: BrowserPlatform::Info = [$ts=network_time(),
$uid=c$uid, $host=c$id$orig_h, $platform_token=platform,
$unparsed_version=value];
         Log::write(BrowserPlatform::LOG, rec);
         add seen_browser_platforms[saw];
         }