[Bro] Writing JSON logs

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Mon Mar 10 11:29:36 PDT 2014

On Mar 7, 2014, at 9:16 AM, Jason Trost <jason.trost at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did this patch ever get pulled into Bro?  I am just curious if there is now support for logging in JSON.

That patch had some structural problems.  I finally went back and restructured the code in at a different layer in Bro.  It should be getting merged into master soon.  You'll be able to write out all of your logs in JSON format with:

@load tuning/json-logs

I went ahead and made some additional changes to the ascii writer so that most of the options that once were only globally available (like LogAscii::separator) are now available per logging filter too.  This make it possible to write a script that outputs a single log in CSV format instead of tab separated without impacting all of a user's other logs.

Anyway, not in master yet, but it should be there soon and it will be in 2.3.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro.org/