[Bro] PF_RING pfring_open() for Endace DAG

Mike Patterson mike.patterson at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 13 05:07:50 PDT 2014

It depends on your DAG hardware. They can all do the load balancing, not all can duplicate the buckets to multiple streams.
On my 9.2X2, I have:

80 all

color 80 hash 0 stream 0,2,4,6,8
color 80 hash 1 stream 0,2,4,10,12
color 80 hash 2 stream 0,2,4,14,16
color 80 hash 3 stream 0,2,4,18,20
color 80 hash 4 stream 0,2,4,22,24
color 80 hash 5 stream 0,2,4,26,28
color 80 hash 6 stream 0,2,4,30,32
color 80 hash 7 stream 0,2,4,34,36

Snort listens to streams 6,10,14, etc.
Bro listens to streams 8,12,16, etc.
Streams 0,2,4 are for tcpdump like applications.

For a while I just had Bro listening on stream 4, and used some magic that Seth helped me with to have 6 workers listening to it, although he now tells me that it’s a terrible way to do things, so I won’t pain him by posting it here now - I think I have previously if you dig around a bit in the list archives.

(However, I’ve run out of useful cores on my box hosting the DAG, so I’m going to be taking a different approach, once I get the round tuits and meeting-free time - snort will be booted off this box and onto another one.)

Mike

--
Software never has flaws... it just sometimes has undocumented remote
administration capabilities.  - Tom Liston