[Bro] Protocols in protocols

Thomas, Eric D edthoma at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 26 09:49:27 PDT 2014

Hello,

I’m writing an analyzer for a few protocols which may or may not be layered. That is, a packet may be IP|TCP|ProtoA|ProtoB, or IP|TCP|ProtoC|ProtoB, or IP|TCP|ProtoB, and perhaps other variations. I envision writing separate protocol analyzers for each of those protocols instead of having to account for all the variations in one protocol analyzer. Does Bro/binPAC allow for this, and if so how? If it makes a difference, in this case most of the protocols cannot have useful DPD signatures.
--
Eric Thomas
edthoma at sandia.gov