[Bro] Can't load magic file <default> on CentOS 5

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed May 7 08:24:01 PDT 2014

On May 7, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Knick, Scott E CTR USARMY RCERT-EUR (US) <scott.e.knick.ctr at mail.mil> wrote:

> I did discover a solution based on the following bug report, though I'm still fighting through some other issues.
>
> https://bro-tracker.atlassian.net/browse/BIT-1111
>
> Basically, you have to also (or rather?) set the MAGIC environment variable, not just the BROMAGIC environment variable.

I’d suggest just setting both to point at the same libmagic installation (e.g. the one Bro has been configured to use via `./configure —with-libmagic=<path>`).

> My conundrum seems to be happening because I need to be able to run on CentOS 5 (or RHEL 5), but that distro is stuck with libmagic version 4, and I can't figure out how to upgrade the system to version 5 without ruining a bunch of things.

If you build/install the latest libmagic from source doing something like `./configure —prefix=/opt && make && make install` (you can choose whatever prefix you want), does that work for you as far as isolating that version from everything?

- Jon