[Bro] Bitwise Operations

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu May 29 13:15:26 PDT 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 12:15 PM, M K <mkhan04 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume you're talking about the dynamic plugin capability Robin is working on -- or is it something else? Are there any details you can share?

Partly that, but generally I don't think that it's a good idea for most people to be writing c/c++ code that is parsing network traffic.  I was primarily referring to Binpac++, but that's still research (nod to Robin) so it's probably better to not discuss it concretely in public quite yet. ;)

> it seems overly cumbersome to use them for operators that are implemented literally using one instruction in almost every hardware platform

Sounds like a pre-optimization to me. (although I do agree, my script is an enormous hack). :)

> so it's possible you guys might add some capability in the meantime to Bro that obviates the need for this.

We've been talking about having a release that focuses on language issues and additions and this could definitely fit in as a part of that.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro.org/