[Bro] Cluster state synchronization

Damian Gerow damian.gerow at shopify.com
Wed Oct 8 11:17:00 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Seth Hall <seth at icir.org> wrote:

> > Done, and the end result is the same: sets are being updated slowly.
> For one CNAME in question, it took multiple queries and a few minutes for
> it to show up in the CNAMEs set.
>
> Weird.  Could you try removing the &persistent attribute from those
> variables with it set?  That attribute hasn't been used much ever,
> especially in the past couple of years.  It's probably going to be removed
> before too many more releases too (replaced by something else).

I can try, but we kind of depend on persistence: without it, Bro goes a bit
nuts on startup until it sees all the DNS queries again.  I've been toying
with the idea of resolving each member of the list and adding to the
appropriate address set during bro_init(), but that would still leave some
gaps.

> It would help if you had some traffic that showed this effect too.  It
> possible that there is something weird going on with your traffic that is
> giving this appearance.

The CNAME I mentioned above was a bad example: looks like the host was
caching some aspects of it (namely, that it was a CNAME), so Bro never had
a chance.  I'll have another look at the network: we just had another false
positive arrive, but the DNS log shows the query happening after the
connection.

Thanks!  Looks like the issue may be in the network itself.