[Bro] Link error: magic_open

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 27 14:38:43 PDT 2014

> On Oct 27, 2014, at 1:03 PM, John Donnelly <jdonnelly at dyn.com> wrote:
>
> I see where the libmagic version 5.16 was manually added to the build:
>
> https://github.com/bro/bro/commit/c48c5316299898d05533ee9f5b0273b575391a1f
>
> Then at a later point this was removed.

Yes, IIRC, this method of integrating libmagic never made it in to a release version of Bro, so it’s probably not something you need to worry about.

> Ubuntu 14.04 currently uses:    libmagic-dev:amd64                  1:5.14-2ubuntu3.2

If you are using a version of Bro older than 2.3, that libmagic-dev should work fine — at least I don’t have a problem with it when compiling Bro 2.2.

As mentioned, Bro 2.3 and later won’t require libmagic, so if you can use that instead, it would sidestep whatever your issue is.  Else, we’ll need more details: best if you can give step-by-step instructions to reproduce your problem, including which Bro version and any non-default configuration flags used.

- Jon