[Bro] Bro Log ingestion

Jonathon Wright jonathon.s.wright at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 18:54:28 PDT 2014

Hello,

Requirement:
I'm trying to find the most efficient way to ingest all of Bro's
logs, where Bro is running on multiple servers, and get a
single server/point of query/mining/reporting, etc.  Servers are
running Red Hat 6.5 and Bro 2.3 built from source with file extraction
enabled (HTTP protocol for exe files). All Bro logs and extracted files
seem to be by default owned by root:root, but I'd like to have them
available to a non-root group once on the single server/point/interface to
the analyst.

(My apologies if this has been covered, but I do not know where to search
other than just ask or google it. )

Current setup
Red Hat is running fine, Bro 2.3 with file extraction is working fine. So
no worries, I just need the best methodology to implement for ingesting all
the Bro logs (and extracted files) to a single point for
analysis/mining/querying/reporting etc.

Research
Looking around and doing some reading, I've found two possible solutions
ELSA and LOGSTASH although I don't know them very well and / or what their
capabilities are either. But I'd like to know if they are viable,
especially given my scenario, or if there is something better. Also, a
how-to so I can set it up.

I look forward to your reply, thanks!

JW