[Bro] Bro Log ingestion

Jonathon Wright jonathon.s.wright at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 12:25:43 PDT 2014

Quite the responses, thanks!

Here are my thoughts.

I saw your post Doug, and on some of our projects we can use Security Onion
w/Bro and ELSA, but in this case it must be a RHEL based solution. The
solution Stephen R. demo'd with the Kibana approach [1] is pretty nice. But
it brought an issue to my attention. It appears that Logstash needs to
startup listening on a different port, 9292. I'm wondering if I missed
something or why Kibana wouldn't simply run as a plugin or additional
module under apache on port 443. We are in a highly regulated network, and
if I stand up an Apache server (where all the Bro logs are going to be
placed), and the Apache server is listening on a non secure (!443) port
such as 9292, then it causes flags to be thrown up everywhere and always
kills my project. Additional thoughts on that?

Stephen H, not a nit-pick at all, great post! =) My method for moving the
logs from all the seensors to a central collector at this point are still
in the works. My best route is probably to use 'rsync'. The problem I have
right now is that Bro logs and extracted files have 600 permissions when
they are created. The cause is simply the umask for root on the servers,
which is set to 077. Since the servers are configured (correctly) to not
allow SSH by root, then my rsync proposal also died since all the files are
accessible by root only. Also, I'm unable to change the umask of root
(regulations not know how) so short of creating an every minute chmod 644
cronjob, I'm scratching my head on how to get the logs over to
the collector/ apache server.

You make an excellent point though " The downside is that this can require
quite the large amount of infrastructure… and the only way to find out
exactly how much your environment will need is to build it and see. It also
requires that you keep up to date in knowledge on 3 pieces of software and
how they interact…"
The knowledge and infrastructure count / increase is a large flag that will
prohibit that endeavor (but great to know about).

Both you, John L., and Will H. indicate Splunk though as your solution
which gives me another option.  But I have the same "question about
ingestion" =) How did you get the logs from the multiple sensors to the
"ingestion / collector server"? Rsync, SCP, owner / permission issues? I'm
interested for sure. But.....the cost is a big no-no as well. As Will H.
indicated the cost can go up based on usage, I do need a truly open-source
free solution, so I am now leaning back to ElasticSearch / LogStash unless
I missed something.

Paul H. , you get to use FreeBSD... <drool>... Man do I miss FreeBSD! Give
me packages or give me death, haha. Ever since we were forced to use RHEL I
miss it more and more! But to your comments, this sentence really caught my
attention: "...the logs are sent to a collector via syslog-ng.." Then you
said "There, they are written to disk where they are read by logstash and
sent to elasticsearch". Since I'm leaning in the Logstash / ElasticSearch
method, based on above thoughts, can you share a bit more on how you set up
the syslog-ng, logstash, elasticsearch? That seems to be really close to
meeting my requirement. I'm assuming you installed them as source and set
them in the rc.conf to enabled YES to startup on boot. I'm more interested
in the details of the conf files on with what arguments the daemons start
up and especially how you were able to get the syslog-ng piece working
between the sensor and the collector.

[1] http://www.appliednsm.com/parsing-bro-logs-with-logstash/

Thanks again to all, this is great stuff.

JW