[Bro] Clarification needed

PeLo phrackmod at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 10:29:56 PDT 2014

Hello,

I do have a question regarding data types. I would like to create a
dynamic set of domain names in a script and would like to do a dns
lookup on each of those domains in another script.

The problem is that bro automatically tries to perform dns lookup on any
domain names provided. Using a single domain name works well (*global
restricted_domains = abc.com*) but when i try to assign a group of
domains at a time (*global restriced_domains = { abc.com, 123.net };* or
*global restricted_domains: set[addr]* and using *add* statement), I get
an error which states "Type Clash". I would like to know if there is a
way to create a set of hostnames so that I can work on them later.

Since domain names are essentially strings, I think it would be nice to
have an explicit conversion function to convert from strings to domain
names. If there was one, the above problem would have been solved easily.

- Pelo