[Bro] Does files.log generator recognize application/json file types?

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Apr 2 21:21:07 PDT 2015

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Tim Molter <tim.molter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does `files.log` generator recognize application/json file types, and if
> not, what could I modify to get that to work? What does the generator
> key into to make the decision?

It does not.  Unfortunately JSON detection would be pretty difficult and fraught with false positives.  If you have a regex that you’d like to suggest for matching JSON I’m sure some people could try it and we could find out if it’s resilient enough.

With Bro 2.3+ you can write your own file signatures that you can load in to try and sniff file mime types.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro.org/