[Bro] Error: cannot determine Bro version

Jerome Taylor jtaylor1024 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 08:45:09 PDT 2015

Jon,
Thanks for taking a look a this..
I have a very basic node.cfg file    [bro]
    type=standalone
    host=localhost
    interface=eth0

I am running CentOS 6.6 kernel 2.6.32-504. The diag report from broctl is listed below.    Bro 2.3-680
    Linux 2.6.32-504.12.2.el6.x86_64
    ==== No reporter.log
    ==== No stderr.log
    ==== No stdout.log
    ==== No .cmdline
    ==== No .env_vars
    ==== No .status
    ==== No prof.log
    ==== No packet_filter.log
    ==== No loaded_scripts.log
# bro -v        ! reports the following
bro version 2.3-680Segmentation fault
I originally compile bro with a config option "configure --with-pcap=/..." but I have since removed this. The fault still occurs. I will provide a backtrace report shortly.

Regards,
Jerome Taylor
M: 978-764-1269

     On Thursday, April 9, 2015 10:50 AM, "Siwek, Jon" <jsiwek at illinois.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 2:07 PM, Jerome Taylor <jtaylor1024 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I just completed a new Bro installation. I receive the following error message when I try to start Bro (i.e. "broctl | install").
>
>    Error: cannot determine Bro version
>
> My Setup:
> =======
> bro version 2.3-680
> minimum configuration => (a single Bro instance on the localhost)
>
> Note: "bro -v" will return the version number but it also produces a segmentation fault..
>
> I do not see this issue in older releases of Bro. Is there a known issue with this latest release?

No, that’s not been seen before and things appear to work fine on various platforms Bro is tested against.  Can you give more details?  What platform/OS/compiler?  Did you give any special ./configure flags?  Can you post a backtrace from gdb/lldb ?

> In what I believe is an unrelated issue, I notice that the file "/usr/local/bro/spool/broctl-config.sh" does not exist;

I think that file is generated by `broctl install`, so if that doesn’t complete due to the issue you mention above, that could explain why it’s missing.

- Jon