[Bro] error inputting a table with sets in '$val'

Earl Eiland earl.eiland at root9b.com
Mon Aug 10 07:13:03 PDT 2015

Hello.

I’m reading a table into a script.  The table includes two sets in the values fields.  When executing the script, I’m getting the error message ”Did not find requested field service in input data file model2.log”

Following the example in bro/testing/btest/scripts/base/frameworks/input/setseparator.bro, I’ve redefined the set separator as ‘|’ (redef InputAscii::set_separator = "|";).

The

The table key consists of two addresses, node_A and node_B.
My value inputs consist of two sets, which can consist of just a single value; all fields are separated by tabs.  The first two lines  of my input file are:
#fields  node_A                                node_B                                layer_3_4            service
xxx.yyy.zzz.30   xxx.yyy.255.255                udp        dns

xxx.yyy.zzz are valid IP address values.
It appears that the strings ‘udp’ and ‘dns’ are both being read as part of the layer_3_4 set.  Since they are separated by a tab instead of ‘|’, they should be interpreted as separate fields.  How do I correct this read error?

Best Regards,

Earl Eiland,
Sr. Cyber Security Engineer,
Emerging Technologies, root9B,