[Bro] Memory leak output

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 2 09:32:06 PST 2015

> On Feb 1, 2015, at 2:34 PM, Josh Liburdi <liburdi.joshua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm performing testing for memory leaks and am running into an
> interesting perftools error message:
>
> Thread finding failed with -1 errno=1
> Could not find thread stacks. Will likely report false leak positives.
> Have memory regions w/o callers: might report false leaks
> Leak check net_run detected leaks of 1520 bytes in 10 objects
> The 1 largest leaks:
> Leak of 1520 bytes in 10 objects allocated from:
>
> If the preceding stack traces are not enough to find the leaks, try
> running THIS shell command:
>
> pprof bro "/tmp/bro.3885.net_run-end.heap" --inuse_objects --lines
> --heapcheck  --edgefraction=1e-10 --nodefraction=1e-10 --gv
>

> I can't tell what caused this error. Has anyone seen this before?

Running the `pprof` command that it gives (I usually omit —gv because I don’t have/want ghostview output) will help determine the cause.  The `top` command in pprof usually gives me enough info to spot problems.

> is my first time running a memory leak test and this is happening for
> all trace files, so I'm not sure if this is normal (guessing no).

No, not normal, but if you happened to be testing git/master there was a recent leak introduced; now fixed:

https://github.com/bro/bro/commit/21c7642f6215960e1e9faf65d581e41dacb8de7c

- Jon