[Bro] Memory leak output

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 2 14:52:13 PST 2015

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 3:26 PM, Josh Liburdi <liburdi.joshua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Addtionally, my Bro debug.log is empty.

An empty debug.log is fine.  It only has contents if at least one of the various debug streams is enabled via a -B<stream> flag when running bro.  DebugLogger::streams in src/DebugLogger.cc has a list of stream names.

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Josh Liburdi <liburdi.joshua at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's odd, I am using the configuration referenced on the Finding
>> Memory Leaks page: ./configure --enable-debug --enable-perftools
>> --enable-perftools-debug
>>
>> I tried your configuration as well and receive the same results
>> (gperftools reports memory leaks but can't find thread stacks,
>> valgrind finds no memory leaks whatsoever). There must be something
>> wrong with one of my installations.

For valgrind, maybe check that ~/.valgrindrc, $VALGRIND_OPTS, ./.valgrindrc aren’t doing something to change leak-check behavior and make sure to do —leak-check=full.

For either pprof or valgrind, maybe make sure the bro binary is the one you expect (i.e. use a full path) and that it’s not a script or other program that just exec’s bro.

Otherwise, maybe you’ll have to start troubleshooting from a simple toy program that you’ve written and know always leaks memory.

- Jon