[Bro] Bro Signature Framework Examples

Liam Randall liam.randall at gigaco.com
Wed Feb 4 05:52:38 PST 2015

Myra,

If you look under policy/frameworks/signatures/detect-windows-shells.sig:
https://github.com/bro/bro/blob/master/scripts/policy/frameworks/signatures/detect-windows-shells.sig

You'll find an example signature that ships with Bro.  Additionally, each
protocol analyzer is enabled by a signature used in the dynamic protocol
detection (dpd) process; for example please see http's signature:
https://github.com/bro/bro/blob/master/scripts/base/protocols/http/dpd.sig

There are a lot of novel uses of signatures in Bro; in Jon bitcoin mining
protocol detection he uses a signature to enable an analysis process:
https://github.com/jsiwek/bro_bitcoin

Many of the "signatures" you would use to find basic indicators of
compromise (domains, ip addresses, file hashes, etc) are handled by the
intelligence framework:
https://www.bro.org/sphinx/frameworks/intel.html

V/r,

Liam Randall