[Bro] zbalance_ipc with multiple applications and Bro

Adam Pumphrey apumphrey at ivsec.com
Wed Feb 11 08:31:29 PST 2015

You probably need to take a look at the PFRINGFirstAppInstance in broctl.cfg, it defaults to 0.  If you’re looking to use the second app instance created by zbalance_ipc you’ll need to set that option to 4.

Also make sure the lb_method and lb_procs are set appropriately in node.cfg file, for example:

interface=zc:99
lb_method=pf_ring
lb_procs=4    # should be equivalent to the number of instances per ‘ring'

If you really want to use zero-copy you need to add the prefix “zc:” to the physical interface name; e.g.  zbalance_ipc -i zc:eth5.  There are other pre-req’s for that to work, like configuring huge memory pages and installing the pf_ring-aware ZC driver.

I’ve been testing with ZC also but having issues with Bro reporting increased packet loss rates as soon I enable a configuration like this.  Not sure if this is a hashing mode conflict, NIC/driver configuration issue or what..  I’d be interested to hear about your (or anyone else’s) results with such a setup.

Adam