[Bro] zbalance_ipc with multiple applications and Bro

DJ Root dj.root at netronome.com
Wed Feb 11 08:45:41 PST 2015

Hi Michal,

It may be supported, but we have tested and proven similar functionality in hardware.  Our hardware and software can bind specific instances of Bro (or Suricata for that matter) onto host cores - something we call flow affinity.  Furthermore, those flows are load balanced anyway the user wants them.

Example config:  We compile both Bro and Suricata against our pcap libraries so that they each recognize our network interface nomenclature. In the case for “Bro”, we edit the “/usr/local/bro/etc/node.cfg" file to add the interface bindings and cpu pinning for each worker thread. See below. We then use “broctl” to start Bro processing.

[worker-1]
type=worker
host=172.24.3.9
pin_cpus=0