[Bro] Building Bro and have a couple errors when running configure

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:04:51 PST 2015

> On Feb 25, 2015, at 10:56 AM, Gary Faulkner <gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bro seems to complete the configure step, but I'm seeing a couple 'not
> found' and 'Failed' messages during when tests are run in the configure
> step and am wondering if these are errors that can be ignored or if I
> need to fix them first. This is on RHEL 6.6. I'm using the PF_RING
> libpcap, and the system libpcap is not installed.
>
> -- Performing Test ns_initparse_works_none - Failed
> -- Performing Test res_mkquery_works_none - Failed
> -- Looking for htonll - not found
> -- Looking for include file sys/ethernet.h - not found
> -- Looking for include file net/ethertypes.h - not found
> -- Looking for include file os-proto.h - not found
> -- Performing Test HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY_ENTRIES - Failed
> -- Performing Test SIN_LEN - Failed
> -- Looking for IPPROTO_IPV4 - not found
> -- Performing Test DO_SOCK_DECL - Failed
> -- Performing Test SYSLOG_INT - Failed
> -- Looking for include file pcap-int.h - not found
> -- Performing Test LIBPCAP_PCAP_COMPILE_NOPCAP_HAS_ERROR_PARAMETER - Failed

Individual tests that fail are usually fine as long as the overall configure/cmake script completes.  The reason for these configure-time tests is because Bro has to work on various platforms and with differing versions of some libraries, so it has to check what is actually available to use and adjust accordingly.  If the configure step completes, take that to mean “no problems detected so far”.

- Jon