[Bro] Bro with 10Gb NIC's or higher

Aashish Sharma asharma at lbl.gov
Fri Jan 9 11:00:54 PST 2015

While, we at LBNL continue to work towards a formal documentation, I think I'd reply then causing further delays:

Here is the 100G cluster setup we've done:

- 5 nodes running 10 workers + 1 proxy each on them
- 100G split by arista to 5x10G
- 10G on each node is further split my myricom to 10x1G/worker with shunting enabled !!

Note: Scott Campbell did some very early work on the concept of shunting
	    (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2195223.2195788)

We are using react-framework to talk to arista written by Justin Azoff.

With Shunting enabled cluster isn't even truly seeing 10G anymore.

oh btw, Capture_loss is a good policy to run for sure. With above setup we get ~ 0.xx % packet drops.

(Depending on kind of traffic you are monitoring you may need a slightly different shunting logic)

Here is hardware specs / node:

- Motherboard-SM, X9DRi-F
- Intel E5-2643V2 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge (2x6-=12 Cores)
- 128GB DDRIII 1600MHz ECC/REG - (8x16GB Modules Installed)
- 10G-PCIE2-8C2-2S+; Myricom 10G "Gen2" (5 GT/s) PCI Express NIC with two SFP+
-  Myricom 10G-SR Modules

On tapping side we have
- Arista 7504  (gets fed 100G TX/RX + backup and other 10Gb links)
- Arista 7150 (Symetric hashing via DANZ - splitting tcp sessions 1/link - 5 links to nodes

on Bro side:
5 nodes accepting 5 links from 7150
Each node running 10 workers + 1 proxy
Myricom spliting/load balancing to each worker on the node.

Hope this helps,

let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Aashish